11 North 4th Street, St. Louis, MO, 63102 / Cake artist: Henryk Ptasiewicz
The Old Courthouse had its beginnings in 1816 when Auguste Chouteau (St. Louis’ founder) and Judge John Baptiste Charles Lucas donated land for a courthouse to be put in St. Louis. A Federal-style courthouse was built there in 1828. Because of the city’s rapidly growing population, a new courthouse was needed and by 1839 the courthouse had been vastly expanded, turning it into a Greek-revival type building. Slaves were sold and auctioned off on the steps in the first half of the 19th century. The courthouse had been renovated several times during its usage until 1930 (replaced by the Civil Courts Building). This was the place where Dred & Harriet Scott sued filed suit for their freedom. Another notable case was one of the early suits for woman’s right to vote, which was for Virginia Minor in the 1870s.
Today, the old courthouse is open for tours and visitors get a look at the restored courtrooms where these landmark court cases happened. It is to provide the visitor of what 19th century life was like.
Cake placement date: February 21
Where is the cake now?: The cake was sold in the biddingforgood auction for $620 on 1/1/2015.