3700 Fair Avenue, St. Louis, MO, 63107 / Cake artist: Dan Jaboor
Fairground Park goes way back to 1856 as a privately-owned unit by the St. Louis Agricultural and Mechanical Association. During the Civil War, the park was used as a Union encampment which was known as Benton Barracks. By 1880, it was converted to a horse-racing track (The St. Louis Fair and Jockey Club) which was used for gambling. The track was closed in 1905 as an anti-gambling politician, Joseph W. Folk, was elected Mayor of St. Louis. Soon after, it became a public park, and a small zoo (included a bear pit!) was here. In fact, the park was once considered a site for the Saint Louis Zoo. Today, at 132 acres, there are many enjoyable things to do at the park – such as trails for walking and biking, basketball courts, and ball fields.
Where is the cake now?: The cake sold in the biddingforgood auction for $455 on 1/1/2015.