Was located at the corner of Biddle and Leanor K. Sullivan, St. Louis, MO, 63102 / Cake artist: Theresa Hopkins
The Ashley Street Power House was constructed in 1902 by architect/engineer Charles Ledlic, and it was intentionally placed near the Mississippi River. It was the first large electrical power plant to be erected by Union Electric (later Ameren). The building was designated as a City Landmark in 1971. Next to the building is the southern starting point for the Riverfront Trail. The trail is 11.8 miles long and it ends at the point of the Old Chain of Rocks Bridge. Considered as an ‘urban trail’, there are many buildings it passes, plus wildlife is seen. The Riverfront Trail parallels the Mississippi River. One of the major stops on the trail is the Mary Meachum Freedom Crossing.
Cake placement date: February 25
Where is the cake now?: The cake sold for $350 (lowest bid on all of the biddingforgood.com auctions for the cakes) on 1/1/2015.