4749 Gravois Road, St. Louis, MO, 63116 / Cake artist: Gonz Jove

*National Register of Historic Places*

 

Bevo Mill was started up in 1916 as a banquet hall and restaurant from the folks at Anheuser-Busch. It was also created in response to Prohibition (1916 was the year alcoholic beverages were banned). The area peaked during the 13 years of Prohibition, as it was marketed by Anheuser-Busch. The Bevo brand itself peaked in 1919. Bevo comes from Pivo, which is Slavic for beer, but non-alcoholic. August Busch, Sr. was behind two ideas: the construction of the mill (he wanted it to have a Dutch feel), and the location, as it was between the brewery and his home (Grant’s Farm).

Front view of the mill
Front view of the mill
European architecture shines well in the neighborhood!
European architecture shines well in the neighborhood!

Cake placement date: February 22

Where is the cake now?: The cake sold in the biddingforgood auction for $585 on 1/1/2015. It was placed for a short time at the nearby Luna Lounge in 2015.

Bevo Mill on Facebook / Official website

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *