10225 Bellefontaine Road, St. Louis, MO, 63137 / Cake artist: April Morrison
*National Register of Historic Places*
Built by Daniel Bissell between the years 1812 and 1820, this house remains an important figure in the early military history of the region. General Daniel Bissell was the Commander of Fort Belle Fontaine, and military commander of the Upper Louisiana territory from 1809-1813. While serving during the War of 1812, he received the promotion of Brigadier-General. In 1815, Bissell returned to St. Louis and started to construct the house, which started out as a stone kitchen dated back to 1812. The house would be finished by 1819, and by 1821 Bissell left the military for good and built around the house. It would be called ‘Franklinville’. Bissell’s family as well as his descendants would live in this house for over 150 years, often well-furnishing and contributing to it.
The house was donated to St. Louis County in 1961. Several activities take place here throughout the year, from weddings to historical re-enactments, as well as lectures and seminars.
Cake placement date: March 7
Where is the cake now?: The cake was sold in the biddingforgood auction for $550 on 1/1/2015.
Memories: The cake was originally placed on the front porch of the house, but would later be moved into the yard, near the big sign and bushes.