2700 North 14th Street, St. Louis, MO, 63106 / Cake artist: Jack Bowe
North St. Louis was an independent village that was established in 1816. This was to separate itself from the busy part of the city. It was annexed by the city of St. Louis in 1841, changing North St. Louis from a village to neighborhood. It was a densely populated area for a time. History doesn’t record when, but the area started to ‘go downhill’ as businesses and buildings decayed and several people moved out. In the 1970s, there was an effort to restore Old North through business redevelopment; however it proved to be a failure at the time as it was believed to welcome crime.
It wasn’t until 1981 that a group of people from that neighborhood banded together to form the Old North St. Louis Restoration Group. They would re-build each other’s homes while cleaning up the area at the same time. The group continued to move forward by giving the Crown Square, the area across from Crown Candy Kitchen, a complete facelift. After several years, the experiment worked and the pedestrian mall opened in 2010. This would only be the beginning of several current and future redevelopments in the area that brought us its classic red-brick buildings and its award-winning community gardens.
Cake placement date: February 28
Where is the cake now?: The cake still sits outside the office. (February 2018)