107 Elm Street, Cahokia, IL, 62206 / Cake artist: Justin Tolentino
*National Register of Historic Places*
The oldest standing courthouse in Illinois just happens to lie in Cahokia. However, it is not being used. Still, this reconstructed French-Canadian structure, gives everyone a look at history. The courthouse was built around 1740, when Illinois was a French colony. Originally a residence, it was purchased by the Common Pleas Court of the United States in 1793 to handle legal, territorial and political issues. This was also used as the headquarters for the Lewis and Clark expedition, as both of them were there from Winter 1803 to Spring 1804 while their crew camped up the river at Camp Dubois. By 1901, the courthouse was showing signs of deterioration (due to floods), and it was soon dismantled to be shown on display at the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis (due to its classic French Creole structure). It was later moved to Chicago, as it was displayed in Jackson Park. By 1939, the courthouse was brought back to Cahokia and rebuilt. However, most parts from the original 1740s courthouse were gone, but replaced by timber. Still, it is a reminder of the beatifications of history and architecture in the St. Louis area.
Cake placement date: March 7
Where is the cake now?: The cake sits in the same place as it did in 2014. It was borrowed for a short time in 2016 for the Great Godfrey Maze, which was at the Robert E. Glazebrook Park in Godfrey, IL. (May 2017)