East St. Louis was founded in 1797 by Captain James Piggott, a Revolutionary War veteran. At that time it was called ‘Illinoistown’. In that year he began a ferry service across the Mississippi River, connecting Illinoistown with St. Louis. This was the beginning of its long history in manufacturing and industries.
Cake placement date: May 8
Where is the cake now?: The cake still sits outside the building. (April 2017)