222 Worth Road, St. Louis, MO, 63125 / Cake artist: Stuart Schuchardt

*National Register of Historic Places*


The largest Civil War-themed museum in Missouri is housed in the historic Jefferson Barracks Post Exchange and Gym Building, which was built in 1905 for commissioning officers. Both Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee trained here. Starting in 1946, the building was abandoned for more than 60 years. The Missouri Civil War organization was formed in 2002 and they raised money through private funding to renovate the building and turn it into a museum. The museum, which opened in 2013, provides an unbiased view of the war, and has displays of uniforms, medical supplies and weapons from each side.

The museum (the cake was first placed outside the entrance but then moved across the parking lot)

Cake placement date: March 10

Where is the cake now?:  The cake was removed in 2015, and is sitting in storage. In the past, the museum staff have talked about bringing it back in warmer weather.   (February 2018)

Missouri Civil War Museum on Facebook / Official website
Here is an episode of Living St. Louis that talks about the Civil War Museum:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *