212 North Kingshighway, St. Louis, MO, 63108 / Cake artist: Chase staff

*National Register of Historic Places*

 

One of St. Louis’ most iconic hotels was built by and named after Chase Ullman. It originally started as a 9-story, 500-room hotel in 1922. During that decade, there were Prohibition raids at the hotel. In 1929, Sam Koplar built the 28-story Park Plaza Hotel adjacent to the Chase. The two hotels would eventually merge in 1947. Its next step was turning the place into the center of entertainment, which was accomplished well for the longest time by the Koplar family. Several stars at that time came to the Chase Park Plaza: Lucille Ball, Bob Hope, Jerry Lewis & Dean Martin, and the Rolling Stones. Professional wrestling matches would be held here during the 1960s and 1970s. It was even the host of the Miss America pageant in 1956. Every U.S. President from the 1920s to the 1980s have visited here as well. The hotel closed temporarily in 1989, and permanently in the early 1990s.

The hotel was re-opened in 1999, as investors saw the richness in its history. Besides the hotel, there are restaurants, bars and a movie theater. At the top, guests can take in spectacular views of Forest Park and downtown St. Louis.

The sign, which is seen at the corner
The sign, which is seen at the corner
A shot at both buildings, with the cake featured under the portico!
A shot at both buildings, with the cake featured under the portico!

Cake placement date: February 21

Where is the cake now?: The cake was removed in mid-to-late January 2015. Its whereabouts are unknown at the moment.

Notes: According to this article, Kayla Smith painted this cake. She was a high-school senior at the time, and her father was employed at the hotel.

Chase Park Plaza on Facebook / Official website

Here is an episode about Chase Park Plaza featured on Living St. Louis:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *