***PUBLIC VOTE WINNER***

1820 Market Street, St. Louis, MO, 63103 / Cake artist: Tom Hunt

 

Union Station opened in 1894, in which it consisted of three main areas: the Headhouse (which had a hotel), a Trainshed and a Midway. During the years following and up to the 1904 World’s Fair, St. Louis Union Station was the busiest and largest rail station in the world. Rail travel was very popular in the first half of the 20th century. At one time, Union Station would serve 100,000 passengers a day! The famous photo of Harry S. Truman holding the newspaper that read ‘Dewey Defeats Truman’ was shot at Union Station. He was returning home to Independence, Mo. Decline began in the 1950s, and by 1971, Union Station was only serving three passenger trains by day. It would eventually close. In 1985, Union Station re-opened as a shopping mall and a hotel, which included a food court. It also featured many historical markers in remembrance of what the building served.

The mall closed in 2016, and in August of that year, Lodging Hospitality Management announced new plans to renovate Union Station, including putting a 75,000 ft. aquarium in. The project is expected to be completed in the Fall of 2018.

The cake, as it sits under the train shed!
The cake, as it sat under the train shed!
Front of Union Station
Front of Union Station

Cake placement date: February 28

Where is the cake now?:  The cake is sitting in storage.  (February 2018)

Here is an episode about Union Station on Living St. Louis:

St. Louis Union Station Hotel on Facebook / Official website

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *