1700 North Broadway, St. Louis, MO, 63102 / Cake artist: Erik Thompson
One of St. Louis’ nicknames is ‘Big Mound’, but not many people know why, unless they visit this historical marker not far from the new Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge. St. Louis once had a mound that stood approximately 30 feet high, extended about 150 feet, and had extended to 13-15 feet wide. It was a popular historic attraction in old St. Louis until 1869, when it was completely cut down. The dirt and brick from the mound was later used for paving the St. Louis city streets, especially those of Laclede’s Landing.
‘Le Grange de Terre’ translates to ‘Earth Barn’ in French. It was also called ‘Le Butte de Terre’, or French for ‘The Mound of Earth’.
Cake placement date:
Where is the cake now?: The cake sold for $505 in the biddingforgood auction on 1/1/2015.
Memories: The Ameristar cake was originally placed here, but was moved to its permanent location. This cake was originally at the Audubon Center in West Alton, but they requested it to be moved for various reasons.