1721 S. Mason Road, Ballwin, MO, 63011 / Cake artist: Lindsay Harmon
(The museum closed in 2018. It is now located in New York City.)
The AKC (American Kennel Club) Museum of the Dog was part of Queeny Park in Ballwin. It was inside the historic Jarville House, which was built in 1853, and the home of Edgar Queeny (president of Monsanto, 1928-1960). While the museum’s idea goes back to the early 1970s, a comprehensive museum devoted to dogs became a reality in 1982, then moving to St. Louis when it moved here from New York City in 1987. There were more than 700 pieces of dog-related artwork throughout the museum, making it the largest of its kind. Some paintings go back to the 17th century! This was also one of the very few that allows dogs inside. Weddings and special meetings were held here.
The museum re-located back to New York City in 2018, as it is now on 101 Park Avenue.
Cake placement date: February 25
Where is the cake now?: The cake continued to sit outside, and eventually inside the museum until its closure. The whereabouts of the cake are unknown. (May 2019)