1508 Locust Street, St. Louis, MO, 63103 / Cake artist: Nicholas Nihira
*National Register of Historic Places*
The house was built in 1851 as the first house in Lucas Place, which was to be a residential area near downtown. It was purchased by fur trader Robert Campbell in 1854 for his family. Campbell added some features to the house over the years. His family lived in that house until his last surviving son died in 1938. After several experts in history, architecture and art visited the house, they felt the Victorian-era style was too good to not preserve. A foundation was created to save the building, and it was a success. Photographs taken in 1885 at the house were unearthed several years later, and they were the source of ideas on how to restore the place. Yale University and Stix, Baer and Fuller owned the house at separate times.
The Campbell House Museum is to give the visitor/tourist a look at the lives of a 19th-century family and to simply provide a trip through time!
Cake placement date: February 21
Where is the cake now?: The cake sold in the biddingforgood auction for $727 on 1/1/2015.
Memories: This was one of the few cakes that was behind a fence and gate.